Hi Friends,

My sole purpose to start this forum is to unite all TUV 300 owners to share their experience no matter good or bad, to benefit others and bring niggles till Mahindra officials.

Please share your thoughts and publicize this forum to make our voice stand tall.

Thanks,
VP

T8 Manual or AMT

Mahindra TUV 300 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
morgen
Newbie TUVian
TUV 300 Varient: T8 AMT

T8 Manual or AMT

Postby morgen » 13 Sep 2016, 03:20

Hi friends,
First of all, thanks to the forum moderator for creating this club for TUV owners to interact. I am upgrading from my 8 year old sedan to CSUV. Test drove TUV300-100BHP (both manual and AMT) last week at Synergy motors, New Delhi. Things I noticed:
1. Tough build quality
2. Commanding view of the roads
3. Pretty soft clutch and smooth gear shifts
4. Rough AMT ride in auto mode, sort of take off feeling post gear shift and very clear deceleration during gear shifts, overall unimpressive auto mode, however, manual mode was fine
Now, I have made up my mind to bring home the tank. Need advise from experienced TUV-100BHP AMT users if manual mode of AMT (without clutch access) is as good as TUV-manual with a conventional clutch in bumper to bumper traffic. I felt reversing the car to park in a tight spot with AMT was a bit of an effort, but it may be due to my long association with manual transmission (non-AMT) cars. So advise me please, T8 AMT or manual?

Sharadkt
Senior TUVian

Re: T8 Manual or AMT

Postby Sharadkt » 13 Sep 2016, 23:50

morgen wrote:Hi friends,
First of all, thanks to the forum moderator for creating this club for TUV owners to interact. I am upgrading from my 8 year old sedan to CSUV. Test drove TUV300-100BHP (both manual and AMT) last week at Synergy motors, New Delhi. Things I noticed:
1. Tough build quality
2. Commanding view of the roads
3. Pretty soft clutch and smooth gear shifts
4. Rough AMT ride in auto mode, sort of take off feeling post gear shift and very clear deceleration during gear shifts, overall unimpressive auto mode, however, manual mode was fine
Now, I have made up my mind to bring home the tank. Need advise from experienced TUV-100BHP AMT users if manual mode of AMT (without clutch access) is as good as TUV-manual with a conventional clutch in bumper to bumper traffic. I felt reversing the car to park in a tight spot with AMT was a bit of an effort, but it may be due to my long association with manual transmission (non-AMT) cars. So advise me please, T8 AMT or manual?

Manual mode in AMT is useless, clutch opening and closing is slow, it downshifts based on rpm and brake input just as auto mode but upshifts automatically above 4k RPM. In short you would think you are driving in 5th gear but transmission has already downshifted due to brake pedal input or lower rpm.

Regards,
Sharad

Sathishravya
Newbie TUVian
TUV 300 Varient: T8

Postby Sathishravya » 14 Sep 2016, 07:23

Hi Morgen,

Go for TUV300 T8 Manual transmission as M&M seems yet to fix the problems associated with AMT version. I have already covered 7K kilometers and haven't faced a single issue till date. Very powerful tank. Go for it...no second thought.

Sathish

LUVTUV
Newbie TUVian

Postby LUVTUV » 15 Sep 2016, 18:26

Hi Morgen,
I have test driven the AMT a couple of times. I have also taken delivery of an 100 BHP T8 AMT just a couple of days ago.
My opinion about AMT is ......

"Driving the TUV AMT in slow crawling speeds like in heavy traffic is not really fun. But I feel that would hold true even for a manual transmission where the pain is in shifting gears and driving with half clutch."

The AMT in TUV is not a real automatic transmission like that available in a Hyndai Creta. You have to also consider the price difference between the two, almost 5 lakhs on road between the Creta AT and Tuv AMT.

Driving an AMT vehicle (any, not just TUV) takes time to adjust. This was my experience even with the Celerio AMT that I have now started to enjoy driving compared to 6 months ago. The first month was a frustrating one where I felt the gear changes in the Celerio is not normal, but once I learned how the vehicle runs, a small adjustments in the driving pattern made it easier and comfortable.

Again, my opinions on the TUV 300 AMT are premature but I am hoping that the drive issues will get flattened out as I add more KMs on the TANK.

Cheers.

Sharadkt
Senior TUVian

Postby Sharadkt » 16 Sep 2016, 14:46

LUVTUV wrote:Hi Morgen,
I have test driven the AMT a couple of times. I have also taken delivery of an 100 BHP T8 AMT just a couple of days ago.
My opinion about AMT is ......

"Driving the TUV AMT in slow crawling speeds like in heavy traffic is not really fun. But I feel that would hold true even for a manual transmission where the pain is in shifting gears and driving with half clutch."

The AMT in TUV is not a real automatic transmission like that available in a Hyndai Creta. You have to also consider the price difference between the two, almost 5 lakhs on road between the Creta AT and Tuv AMT.

Driving an AMT vehicle (any, not just TUV) takes time to adjust. This was my experience even with the Celerio AMT that I have now started to enjoy driving compared to 6 months ago. The first month was a frustrating one where I felt the gear changes in the Celerio is not normal, but once I learned how the vehicle runs, a small adjustments in the driving pattern made it easier and comfortable.

Again, my opinions on the TUV 300 AMT are premature but I am hoping that the drive issues will get flattened out as I add more KMs on the TANK.

Cheers.

Now that you have driven both the AMTS - Ricordo in Mahindra and Magneti in Celerio, could you tell us the difference between the two and which one you consider better?

LUVTUV
Newbie TUVian

Postby LUVTUV » 16 Sep 2016, 21:22

Sharadkt wrote:Now that you have driven both the AMTS - Ricordo in Mahindra and Magneti in Celerio, could you tell us the difference between the two and which one you consider better?

I don't think it is fair to compare TUV and Celerio. Celerio weighs 865 Kgs and TUV a gigantic 2225 Kgs.
My initial experience with both of them is similar in a sense that they both felt a little rough compared to the manual transmission that we are used to.
BTW, I have good experience driving an AT during my stint abroad and also Manual transmission in a Hyundai Verna for the last 4 years.
I got used to Celerio AMT in about 2-3 weeks. Once I started driving the Celerio AMT, I got to understand the parameters that the car uses to change the gears automatically. Once this is understood, driving it is not that bad. Sometimes, based on the road condition (especially uphill), shifting to Manual mode in the Celerio make the drive better than in the AMT mode.

Last 3 days of driving the TUV in bad traffic is also comparable to the Celerio AMT but I think the jerks in first gear are more enhanced in TUV due to its weight and large size.

But, one thing is for sure. AMT is not comparable to MT if you like to drive aggressively. This is mainly because we will not have control over the gear shits. Just putting the accelerator to the floor does not give us the same results as with manual driving with the clutch.
The Manual mode of AMT helps in driving in uphill conditions though.

To conclude which is better is difficult. For city driving Celerio is definitely better but Celerio can't drive my family up the ghat roads with the same ease as the TUV.

Apart from the AMT issues, I am slowly finding out other issues with quality control at Mahindra that I will list in my experience thread. :(

Cheers.

Sharadkt
Senior TUVian

Re: RE: Re: T8 Manual or AMT

Postby Sharadkt » 16 Sep 2016, 21:48

LUVTUV wrote:
Sharadkt wrote:Now that you have driven both the AMTS - Ricordo in Mahindra and Magneti in Celerio, could you tell us the difference between the two and which one you consider better?

I don't think it is fair to compare TUV and Celerio. Celerio weighs 865 Kgs and TUV a gigantic 2225 Kgs.
My initial experience with both of them is similar in a sense that they both felt a little rough compared to the manual transmission that we are used to.
BTW, I have good experience driving an AT during my stint abroad and also Manual transmission in a Hyundai Verna for the last 4 years.
I got used to Celerio AMT in about 2-3 weeks. Once I started driving the Celerio AMT, I got to understand the parameters that the car uses to change the gears automatically. Once this is understood, driving it is not that bad. Sometimes, based on the road condition (especially uphill), shifting to Manual mode in the Celerio make the drive better than in the AMT mode.

Last 3 days of driving the TUV in bad traffic is also comparable to the Celerio AMT but I think the jerks in first gear are more enhanced in TUV due to its weight and large size.

But, one thing is for sure. AMT is not comparable to MT if you like to drive aggressively. This is mainly because we will not have control over the gear shits. Just putting the accelerator to the floor does not give us the same results as with manual driving with the clutch.
The Manual mode of AMT helps in driving in uphill conditions though.

To conclude which is better is difficult. For city driving Celerio is definitely better but Celerio can't drive my family up the ghat roads with the same ease as the TUV.

Apart from the AMT issues, I am slowly finding out other issues with quality control at Mahindra that I will list in my experience thread. :(

Cheers.

Thanks for heads up and sorry to know about quality issues you are getting to know...

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Suvs2016
Newbie TUVian
TUV 300 Varient: T8

Postby Suvs2016 » 17 Sep 2016, 20:18

Sathishravya wrote:Hi Morgen,

Go for TUV300 T8 Manual transmission as M&M seems yet to fix the problems associated with AMT version. I have already covered 7K kilometers and haven't faced a single issue till date. Very powerful tank. Go for it...no second thought.

Sathish

Hi All

I totally agree the fact that Manual Transmission is the best for any car in India and if it's M&M its the Manual thats always fun to drive. I have munched almost 67 kilometers (~66 kms) with 3.65 litres of fuel almost 18 kmpl economy with both ac eco and eco mode city driving. :D

Karanzone
Newbie TUVian

Postby Karanzone » 17 Sep 2016, 21:56

Hi All,
I have been following all opinions posted on this forum and trust that i will give an honest verdict. I have driven the 100 bhp AMT for more than 5000 kms. You may go through my long term review. It has been 90% city driving and it was the worst car I had owned so far. However, the latest firmware update has zero jerks, very small lag and overall a satisfactory drive. Im still not blown away as i drive in bad Gurgaon roads and the shockers are shit (same as MT) & AMT does make it worse. But on smooth roads even with Gurgaon traffic the ride is quite good. I wish I could say great but I am hopeful for another software upgrade that could be 6 months away that could better the experience furthermore. Manual is any day better but not for traffic. But if u want an automatic there are other options worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Karan Chhabra
Hatchback: Honda Brio Petrol manual
Sedan: Hyundai Elantra (Fluidic) Diesel Auto
SUV: Mahindra TUV300 mHawk100 AMT

morgen
Newbie TUVian

T8 MT 100BHP PDI- engine rpm

Postby morgen » 01 Oct 2016, 23:24

Hi fellow tuvians,
I am taking my vehicle delivery on 3rd October, hence went for PDI to stockyard in vasant kunj delhi today. Based on the existing thread on engine rpm going down in idling when gear is engaged, I checked. This vehicle has only 9km on odometer and as per my VIN inspection it is manufactured 13th September 2016. So, I guess it should have all kinds of VM and FDM/hose updates already. The engine idled at around 950rpm with neutral but with any gear engaged went down by 100-150 rpm while the vehicle was standstill. Is this normal and expected from a pre-delivery vehicle? Also while doing PDI, I noticed that micro hybrid did not switch-off the vehicle when I put it to neutral after 1st gear, engine started but vehicle was standstill. My SE said they ESS will work after the vehicle has moved a little, I felt like there is some min. distance required before ESS re-engages at the time of test-drive in b2b traffic too.

Regards,
Morgen

Return to “Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports”